Basic Recipe for a sponge type cake.
This recipe can be adapted and changed according to your recipes. This can be a chocolate cake, lemon cake, Victoria sponge…anything you like.
If you want to make a smaller cake, just use half the amount.
400 g self-raising flour
240 g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
310 ml of soya milk (other dairy free will do)
160 ml vegetable oil (I use rapeseed)
2 tsp vanilla extract
Aquafaba egg replacer (recipe)
- Sieve flour into a mixing bowl
- Add sugar
- Add baking powder
In a separate bowl
- add Soya milk
- Vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and combine well with a wooden spoon, do not use a whisk or electric mixer as it will get rid off all the air and we want to keep it nice and fluffy.
- Take the whipped up aquafaba and fold it carefully under the cake mixture, you should be left with a very light mixture.
- Fill it into the cake tin/tins and bake at 170c for about 30 mins (depending on your oven).
- Once cooled prepare to your liking.